What is ECFE?Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE) is a program unique to Minnesota and is offered in over 300 school districts throughout the state. ECFE is offered through the Family Center, which is a program of Edina Community Education Services, as part of the Edina Public School District and is the first connection between families and the school district.
ECFE classes are one to two hours in length, depending on the age of the child, and offer three components:
- Parent and Child Interaction Time – an early childhood teacher provides developmentally appropriate activities for parents and children to enjoy together.
- Guided Play for Children – a portion of the class (for children 7 months and beyond) is devoted to learning through play with licensed teachers and assistants while parents participate in a parent discussion in a separate room.
- Parent Discussion Time – parents and caregivers participate in a discussion, led by a licensed parent educator. Joys and challenges of parenting are shared and topics are designed to address the developmental issues of each age group.
- Baby & Me: Birth - 12 months
- Busy Babies: 7-12 months
- Toddlin' Tykes: 12-17 months
- Tender Tots: 18-23 months
- Family Classes: Birth - 5 years
- ECFE Pre-School: 2-5 years
Check out our current catalog on this page!
Parents and New Babies
Edina School District 273 residents are entitled to a free home visit from a licensed parent educator after the birth or adoption of a baby.
Call 952-848-3908 to schedule a visit at your convenience.
FREE Monthly Baby & Me Sampler class
Once a month the Family Center offers a free introductory “Baby and Me” class. Parents and infants (newborn-12 months) are invited to come and see what an Early Childhood Family Education (ECFE) class has to offer. Join a licensed Parent Educator to talk about the joys and challenges of life with an infant and discuss the importance of attachment.
Call 952-848-3908 to reserve your spot or click here to register online!